Shimura Curves

Monday, May 09, 2005

The Serotonin Choir

This morning Frances sent me a text message saying that singing boosts serotonin. I think she might be on to something. There is something glorious (golden glorious?) about losing one's own voice in a blend of harmony. The only place most people seem to sing like this in at religious or quasi-religious events like football matches and church services.

We had to do rehearsals in shifts because of our odd schedules. (Bloody freelancers, the lot of us!) Anna and I sang low harmonies in the afternoon, then Frances, AMP and I sang high harmonies in the evening. I cannot wait to put them together like a superfudge layer cake, milk and honey and all that. I am genuinely excited. It's not just a lovely blend of voices (Anna's alto low and smokey, Frances' soprano sweet, and AMP's dulcet descant) but a lovely blend of creative people, picking up each others' ideas and running with them.

We've been toying with ideas of themes and costumes, some outlandish, some lovely. The *performance* and *presentation* is as important as the music. Kimonos, Tory Wife Pearls, sailor suits (err, maybe not). I'm excited to see what they come up with.

And oh yes, the Manky Badger beer turned out to be golden ambrosia after all. Yum.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home