Shimura Curves

Thursday, October 06, 2005

OK, So It's Official

Frances has now left the building band. I'm quite sad about this, though I'm not really shocked. I understand her reasons (mostly time pressures) and it's all coo and friendly and on good terms. But I'm still feeling a bit... shellshocked. And daunted at the task of finding another Second Soprano.

I don't know, maybe this is more to do with other circumstances in my life, the job, my ill health, the attempted pickpocketing I foiled today. (Dude, that was one unfortunate mugger who thought I looked like an easy mark, a nice, middle aged lady - coming from anger management I let loose a string of expletives and threatened to cut his balls off and call the police (in that order) - not realising afterwards how lucky I was that he didn't have a knife.)

I was really not looking forward to the band meeting last night, with a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach and rising panic and the growing notion that we should just chuck it all in. Anna was slugging down shots in the bar to steel her nerves after a tough day at work. But I was really surprised by how AMP really just kind of shrugged her shoulders and took over planning and dreaming and suggesting and organising. And that point it suddenly clicked, that was the crisis that had focused us, and I realised that we had actually become a *band*. Like, this was a *thing* which existed and had a life of its own and energy to sustain us even when I wasn't feeling 100% about it.

So, er, yeah. We're looking for a new Shimura now. We need a lady who can sing harmonies (second soprano ideal) and also dance, and look fabulous in pretty dresses. Email us if you think you know who it could be...

4 Comments:

At 11:20 AM GMT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

STOP caling yourself middle aged. You will regret this when you actually are, even if being middle aged seems safer now. You don't look it and you don't act it.

 
At 11:20 AM GMT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is Anna btw.

 
At 11:26 AM GMT, Blogger Catty said...

I think that mugger is lucky you didn't have a knife, seeing as you threatened to cut off his balls.
Which must have been pretty big to try to mug YOU!

I'm sorry to hear about the departure of Frances Spice.

 
At 12:17 PM GMT, Blogger Masonic Boom said...

Why will I regret this? I've been looking forward to being middle aged my whole life. As in the time of life when I stop having to try so hard.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home