Shimura Curves

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Massive Long Survey About 2005

Yeah, so I got this off AMP's Blog but I wanted a go, too. Can you tell I'm bored and procrasturbating at work? I have a date tonight and I can't keep my mind on my job.

1. What did you do in 2005 that you'd never done before?

I bought a house!

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I didn't make any last year. This year, they're all about less whinging about boys and relationships and not getting laid on ILX, and more talking about stuff I love.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

No.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Yes. Pointlessly blown up by terrorists on 7/7.

5. What countries did you visit?

France. I guess we went through Belgium on the way to Paris, as well.

6. What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005?

A bit more furniture.

6. What date from 2005 will remain etched upon your memory forever?

Instead of the awfulness of 7/7, I'll pick 22/7, which was the date of Liz's (see No. 4) funeral. Beautiful, sad, emotional, full of both pain and laughter and lovely memories - I'd much rather remember than than the awfulness of London blowing up.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

My job, buying a house, my band.

9. What was your biggest failure?

Magnus. Nuff said.

10. Did you suffer any illness or injury?

Not major, thank the lord.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

MINE OWN HOUSE!!!! Times 1000.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

Anna, AMP and Marianna (and honourable mention to Frances). For turning my little symphonies into something real and beautiful and super-cool.

13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?

The American Government. Followed closely by our own. Then suicide bombers. Yes, in that order.

14. Where did most of your money go?

Mine HOUSE!!!

Honourable mentions to Liberty for their amazing shirts, which I've always wanted and never been able to afford. And Electroharmonics pedals. Heh.

15. What thing did you get really, really, really excited about?

My new job. Well, it's not so new any more, now that I've been here for six months. But it's the first time in, well, a long, long time that I've had a job that I really loved, where I felt challenged, respected, and appreciated.

16. What songs will always remind you of 2005?

Push The Button - Sugababes

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?

Definitely happier. I was miserable last January, employment woes, shitty living situation, and being messed about by No. 9 up there.
b) Thinner or fatter?
Fatter. Ugh. Nearly two stone fatter. The bad side of desk jobs.
c) Richer or poorer?
Much, much, MUCH richer. I think my salary is now at least double, possibly triple what it was this time last hyear.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?

Travelling. I should have visited Paris a few more times, and maybe even Berlin, Barcelona. Also, well, snogging and snuggling.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?

Eating. Drinking. Putting on weight.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?

I spent it in Hackney with the other Waifs and Strays. Emma makes everything into an exciting adventure, and Xmas was no exception. Which was a relief, as I hate Xmas.

21. Did you fall in love in 2005?

I thought I did. But really, it was just some kind of twisted reflection. I think I went through a phase of being "in love" with someone who represented everything that I rejected and ran away from in my youth.

22. How many one-night stands?

None. I kind of gave them up.

23. What was your favourite TV program?

Doctor Who pwned pretty much everything else.

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?

I don't think so. If anything, I think I've patched things up with people I used to hate.

25. What was the best book you read?

Underground London by... erm... I forget who it's by. But it was amazing. And of course, To The Ends Of The Earth by William Golding.

26. What was your greatest musical discovery?

Shimura Curves!!!!! Ha ha, OK, technically that's an invention not a discovery, but still.

27. What did you want and get?

A good job!

28. What did you want and not get?

Love.

29. What was your favourite film of this year?

To The Ends Of The Earth. Ok, not a film but a TV Series, but still. I'm still obsessed with it.

30. What did you do on your birthday?

Walked from Cheshunt (where I grew up) all the way down the River Lee or Lea to Hackney, had gorgeous pub lunch, ate Liz's Experimintal Cake, and the best FAP ever.

31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

I can't really think. It was a rubbish year for most of it, but shaped up to be immensely satisfying by the end of it. Oh, OK, I wish the Shimuras had finished our demo.

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005?

Miss Marple meets Marianne Faithful at Liberty's.

33. What kept you sane?

Therapy. SSRIs. No, seriously, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy ended up being a godsend.

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Jared Harris, as Captain Anderson. Oh my god, the hottness. The ginger hair, the pointed nose, the minatory jaw, the ROAR... I am deeply smitten.

Oh yeah, runner up: Boris Johnson. So wrong I can't resist.

35. What political issue stirred you the most?

I don't generally get stirred by political issues. I think politics is something you should *do*, not talk about.

36. Who did you miss?

Apart from the obvious (oh, Liz...) well, I'll be honest. I miss Magnus, but I miss something that was impossible to perpetuate without one or both of us getting very, very hurt.

37. Who was/were the best new person/people you met?

My new colleagues, especially my new boss. Oh, and Terry (and his bf David), our new producer.

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005.

I don't think I can, without starting to sound like my CBT therapist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home