Shimura Curves

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Sorbet Sex

Lunchtime now and I've still not got my laptop hooked up. Sigh.

Rehearsal last night was very workmanlike, trying to get a lot done very quickly, divvying up the lead vocal chores. It wasn't until I tried to sing some of the songs that I realised how completely Anna had made them her own - we were trying to sing like Anna, rather than the demos. Which was hard, because Anna is a fabulous and glamourous frontperson while we are just kind of nerdy musos. (don't hit me, Frances!)

Frances was floating on a cloud of sorbet sex and I was still in grunting computer geek mode, and it's hard not to be jealous when I can't even *remember* what a naked man looks like. I'm even considering paying for a matchmaker Introductions Agency to filtre out Emotional Fuckwits the way that my Headhunter Employment Agent found me a job that was well-suited to me.

But the best part of the evening is always the bit where Frances starts digging madly through her records and CDs, saying "oh, that song reminds me a bit of this..." and then schitzophrenically starts tossing around fragments of the most wonderful music I've ever heard. It's so refreshing to know someone like that, like an amazing resource, a file system of musical knowledge combined with the sheer enthusiasm that makes you want to like it, too.

So many times when you read the music press - yes, even ILM, especially ILM - it seems like people trying to beat you over the head with their musical knowledge, some locker room super-wang showdown of obscurantist knowledge. It doesn't make you want to go out and listen to things, it makes you want to hide away in the corner with your bubblegum records and never admit to your ignorance again.

But what really recaptures my musical spirit of adventurism, rekindles my love of music, is Frances digging through piles of CDs going "Kevin Blechdom! You'll like that! Final Fantasty! You'll like this! Some French Krautrock band with drawings of psychedelic space-cats on their cover, what do you think about that?"

I think I love it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home