Shimura Curves

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Hacking Jacket

So I'm going to try and be nice and positive and make this a happy post about the band, rather than turning it into a rant about my housing troubles and my neighbour troubles and the like.

We drank way too much last night (red wine and pink champagne and when we were done with that, we even devoured the rest of the Mead) and bounced up and down and Anna even sang into a hairbrush and it was more like a party than a rehearsal, which is the way these things should be.

Lots of gossip and EMBARRASSING REVELATIONS about certain Shimuras about which I am sworn to secrecy. And now I am the Only Single Shimura which is a bit depressing. Ah well, I am married to music. Or maths. Or something.

Because I was a bit rubbish and still have not completed the New Songs (hah! get in the queue behind my boss complaining that I have not Coded The New Reports) instead we decided to sit around a table and talk about important things - like image. I'm sorry, but I do actually think this is highly important. Fandom is often turned to obsession for me by a good image - more than just a look, but more like a whole gestalt, a syllabus, cultural references outside of music. Most easily encapsulated by having your art and your clothes look a certain way.

So *sick* of cutesy girlbands who try to tap into that cutesy 1950s housewife thing. Polkadots and lipstick cases - enough already. We started talking about the female equivalent of the Great British Eccentric. Anna was talking about fashion shoots which always had the mad girls in ballgowns and green wellies and massive pre-Raphaelite hair. I thought this was great - fits in with my current obsession with Liberty Print shirts and my desire for a tweed hacking jacket. The demented granddaughters of bearded Edwardian eccentrics who threw Country House Parties. Oh yes. Can we do all Art Nouveau and Pre-Raphaelite without coming across like blooming hippies?

We shall see.

3 Comments:

At 12:14 PM GMT, Blogger AMP said...

As long as we don't end up looking like Circulus...

Also, l@@k: We have a profile on DrownedinSound!

 
At 12:41 PM GMT, Blogger Masonic Boom said...

Ha ha, actually I think they're quite cute... would never actually want to dress like that myself, but it's nice to see someone making an effort.

Wow, we have a DiS profile. I feel like we've... arrived or something! Hurrah! Too bad I've forgotten my login so I can't cheat and give us a ridiculous amount of stars. ;-)

 
At 2:10 PM GMT, Blogger Catty said...

...you mean like this?
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0224072765.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home